Welcome to your ultimate Iceland itinerary for 7 days! We still vividly remember our first visit to Iceland, an unforgettable week filled with awe-inspiring landscapes, exciting adventures, and heartwarming Icelandic hospitality. This guide aims to help you create unforgettable memories - as we did on countless trips to this incredible country.
Planning Your Trip
Let's dive into planning your Iceland itinerary for 7 days. Proper planning is the key to a successful and memorable Icelandic adventure. Now, let's explore when to go, how to get there, and more.
When to Go to Iceland
Choosing the right time for your Iceland 7-day itinerary is crucial. The summer months (June to August) bless you with long daylight hours and warmer weather. However, if chasing the Northern Lights is your dream, consider visiting between September and April. Either way, the best time to visit Iceland is based on your personal preferences and travel goals.
How to Get to Iceland
Most people embark on their 7-day trip to Iceland by flying into Keflavík International Airport, the country's main gateway. From North America or Europe, numerous airlines operate direct flights, making Iceland easily accessible. Always remember to compare flight deals for the best prices and timings.
Where to Stay in Iceland
While planning your Iceland itinerary for 7 days, consider your accommodation options. From luxurious hotels in Reykjavík to cozy countryside guesthouses, Iceland offers a broad range of accommodations to enrich your experience. Whether your preference leans towards luxury or budget, there's a cozy spot waiting to be your home away from home.
Transportation in Iceland
Exploring Iceland in one week requires reliable transportation. The Ring Road encircles the island, making self-driving a popular choice. However, buses and guided tours are also available. Whether you're cruising solo or with a group, navigating Iceland's scenic routes will be a highlight of your journey.
Budgeting for Your Trip to Iceland
Budgeting for your Iceland 7-day road trip is essential. Iceland, known for its breathtaking beauty, can also be pricey. Consider costs for accommodations, meals, activities, and transportation. By planning ahead and setting a clear budget, you can enjoy all the wonders without breaking the bank. Read our guide to exploring Iceland on a budget for a better understanding of costs.
The Best Places to Visit in Iceland in 7 Days
Now, let's delve into the heart of your Iceland itinerary for 7 days - the best places to visit. Having explored every nook and cranny of this enchanting island, we're thrilled to share these must-visit locations with you.
Day 1: Snæfellsnes Peninsula Exploration
- Start your 7-day adventure in Iceland by exploring the Snæfellsnes Peninsula, known for its lava fields and charming fishing villages.
- Take a journey to the peak of Snæfellsjökull glacier. You might want to consider the Fjallaskidi Snæfellsjökull tour.
- Spend some time admiring Kirkjufell Mountain and its surrounding waterfalls.
- Conclude your day with a warm soak in a local hot spring. If you're lucky, you might even get a glimpse of the Northern Lights!
- Rest and recharge in a cozy local inn.
Day 2: Westfjords Discovery
- Embark on Day 2 of your Iceland itinerary for 7 days with a journey to the Westfjords.
- Marvel at the cascading beauty of Dynjandi Waterfall.
- Immerse yourself in the cultural charm of Ísafjörður.
- Visit the Látrabjarg Cliffs, where you might spot puffins.
- Consider the Calm Water Kayaking tour to amplify your experience.
- End your day with a serene sunset stroll by the sea.
- Rest in a local guesthouse, reminiscing about the day's discoveries.
Day 3: Vatnsnes Peninsula Adventure
- Continue your 7-day self-drive adventure in Iceland by exploring the Vatnsnes Peninsula, a hidden gem known for its seal colonies and the iconic Hvítserkur sea stack that resembles a dragon.
- Consider the Wild North tour for a comprehensive experience of all the highlights this enchanting area has to offer.
- Enjoy traversing rugged terrains where you might spot Arctic foxes and rare bird species.
- End your day with a peaceful visit to a local beach.
- Rest well in a local guesthouse, rejuvenating for the adventures that lie ahead.
Day 4: Glacier Magic
- On Day 4 of your Iceland travel itinerary for 7 days, stop at any desired town in the East Fjords of Iceland before heading to visit the Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon, teeming with icebergs from the Breiðamerkurjökull glacier.
- Enjoy watching playful seals and take in the shimmering ice at Diamond Beach.
- Experience the Jökulsárlón Boat Tour for an unforgettable journey amidst vast icebergs.
- If you're lucky, you might see the Northern Lights grace the night sky.
- End the day with a stay in a lodge with views of the glacier.
Day 5: South Coast Wonders
- Begin Day 5 of your week trip to Iceland by exploring the waterfalls of the South Coast: Seljalandsfoss and Skógafoss.
- Visit Reynisfjara's black sand beach and marvel at the Reynisdrangar Sea Stacks.
- Take an Ice Cave Tour and experience the awe-inspiring ice caves of Vatnajokull.
- Conclude your day with a scenic drive in Vik, where you might spot puffins and enjoy the peaceful lullaby of the ocean.
- Rest and recharge, ready for another day of unforgettable Icelandic exploration.
Day 6: The Golden Circle Adventure
- Embark on Day 6 of your 7-day Iceland itinerary with the iconic Golden Circle route.
- Start the day exploring the historical and geologically fascinating Þingvellir National Park.
- Experience the thrill of snorkeling in Silfra fissure with Troll Expeditions, where you'll drift between tectonic plates.
- Marvel at Strokkur geyser's powerful eruptions in the Geysir Geothermal Area.
- End the day witnessing the majesty of the Hvítá River's descent at Gullfoss Waterfall.
- Rest and reflect on the day's wonders at a comfortable local guesthouse.
Day 7: Reykjavík City Exploration
- Start Day 7 of your 1 week in Iceland by exploring Reykjavík's renowned landmarks, including Hallgrímskirkja Church and Harpa Concert Hall.
- Enjoy a leisurely stroll along downtown's vibrant streets, absorbing the city's unique charm and energy.
- Relish a seafood meal at the Old Harbor, renowned for its fresh catch and culinary delights.
- Immerse yourself in Iceland's rich history at the National Museum.
- Unwind and relax at Nauthólsvík geothermal beach, a local favorite for sunbathing and swimming.
- Enhance your last day in Iceland with a Reykjavik Classic Whale Watching tour.
- Before your departure, make sure to visit the iconic Blue Lagoon, conveniently located near Keflavik International Airport. It's the perfect way to wrap up your unforgettable Iceland road trip.
Activities to Do in Iceland in 7 Days
To make the most out of your Iceland itinerary in 7 days, we've compiled a list of exciting activities that one ought to experience. For a deeper dive, check out our guide on the best things to do in Iceland.
On an Iceland 7-day tour, hiking is a must-do. The country's diverse terrain, from lava fields to glacier paths, offers trails for all levels. Whether you're scaling mountains or wandering coastal cliffs, hiking in Iceland promises unparalleled views and unforgettable encounters with raw nature.
An Iceland 7-day trip isn't complete without glacier hiking. As you tread atop ancient ice, marvel at deep crevasses, mystical ice caves, and the glacier's unique blue hues. For a truly immersive experience, take a guided tour of Vatnajökull, ensuring you safely explore and appreciate its icy wonders.
Experience the best of Iceland by going whale watching in Iceland. The waters around the island teem with majestic giants like minke whales, humpbacks, and even orcas. Embarking on a whale-watching tour from Reykjavík offers a front-row seat to these marine marvels, making it a captivating highlight of any Icelandic adventure.
No trip to Iceland in a week is complete without going snowmobiling. Glide over vast glaciers and untouched snowfields, capturing the essence of Iceland's icy beauty. If you're keen on this adventure, there are snowmobile tours of Mýrdalsjökull Glacier, offering a unique and thrilling way to explore its majestic expanse.
Northern Lights Hunting
One of the most magical experiences to seek during your Iceland in 7 days trip is Northern Lights hunting. This celestial spectacle paints the Icelandic night sky with mesmerizing hues, creating an ethereal backdrop. To truly soak in this dreamlike display, consider booking a Northern Lights and stargazing tour. Expert guides will optimize your chances of witnessing this natural wonder and enhance your understanding of the cosmic phenomena at play.
Tips for Planning a Successful 7-Day Iceland Trip
Get ready to dive into our insider tips to ensure your Iceland itinerary for 7 days is an unforgettable adventure:
- Book Your Flights and Accommodations Early: Iceland is super cool (pun intended), which means it's also super popular. So, remember to book your flights and accommodations early. This way, you'll score the best deals and won't be left out in the cold!
- Rent a Car: Unless you've got a magic carpet, renting a car in Iceland is the most efficient way to explore the wonders scattered across Iceland. It allows you to roam like a Viking, charting your own course through the land of fire and ice.
- Dress for All Weather: One minute it's sunny, the next it's a blizzard – welcome to Icelandic weather! So, pack for all seasons. Your suitcase should look like it's having an identity crisis – everything from swimsuits to snow boots.
- Allow Plenty of Time for Travel Between Destinations: Iceland might look small on a map, but don't be fooled. The stunning landscapes are distracting, and the roads can be tricky. Make sure to factor in plenty of travel time between destinations. Remember, it's about the journey, not just the destination!
- Take Lots of Photos and Enjoy Your Trip: This one's a no-brainer, but still worth mentioning. A picture is worth a thousand words, but an experience is priceless. So, snap away, but remember to take a moment to simply breathe in the pristine Icelandic air, marvel at the natural beauty, and enjoy your epic Iceland itinerary for 7 days!
The Last Hurrah Of Your Iceland Itinerary For 7 Days
If you can't have the time of your life during your Iceland itinerary for 7 days, we might have to check your pulse! From hiking glaciers and lava caves to chasing northern lights, your inner Viking will surely be unleashed.
Brace yourself for a week full of unforgettable adventures and memories that will last a lifetime. Book your trip now, and let the land of fire and ice mesmerize you!