Frequently asked questions
One of our main motto at Reykjavík Cars is NO hidden costs. We take great pride in adhering to this. We believe that car rental in Iceland should be honest and straightforward. We want your experiences in Iceland to be full of fun and wonder of the untouched nature of our beautiful country. Rent a car in Iceland with us!
How do I pay for my rental car?
Book your reservation online before coming to Iceland online by using our secure online payment system. SIMPLY PAY A DEPOSIT TO MAKE YOUR RESERVATION. THIS IS FULLY REFUNDABLE UP TO 15 DAYS BEFORE THE START OF THE RENTAL. PAY THE BALANCE WHEN YOU COLLECT YOUR VEHICLE IN ICELAND.
When your payment is confirmed through our secure payment gateway you will receive your booking confirmation. Our system accepts credit card payments with Visa, MasterCard and American Express. If you book your vehicle once you are in Iceland then you can still pay online or you can come directly to our office and pay by credit card.
I have arranged a pickup at the Airport. What do I need to do?
Pick up service at the airport is 24 hours a day seven days a week.
a. For the KEF Airport Office Pick up we will send you an e-mail with instructions. Office Pick up is, of course, free of charge. In case you need to contact our pickup service please mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Pick-up & Drop-off service - how does it work?
For the pickup and drop off service just specify the details when you book your car. We will then pick you up from the agreed location and bring you to our nearest office in order to give you the car and sign the rental agreement.
Listed below are the operating times of our various pickup and drop off locations
- KEF International airport (24-hour service)
- Hotel within Reykjavík city area (10-16h)
- Hotel within Keflavík city area (8-18h)
- Reykjavik Office (8-18h)
- BSI Bus Station Reykjavik (10-16h)
- Cruise Harbour Terminal (10-16h)
Our Pick up and drop off service is operational 365 days a year.
Please be aware that we will send you a map for the pickup & drop off at our KEFLAVÍK AIRPORT & REYKJAVIK OFFICE. We recommend you to check your e-mail account before your trip.
To help us with our service please do not forget to state your hotel name and address when you are making your booking.
What is included in the price?
Your Reykjavík Cars rental quote takes into account all of the mandatory charges that relate to your reservation criteria. There are no hidden costs. This quote includes the following items:
- Unlimited Mileage.
- PAI (Personal Accident Insurance) Third party liability insurance
- Collision Damage Waiver (“CDW”)
- Studded winter tires (from November to April)
- 24% Local VAT
What is not included in the rental quote?
- Fuel used during your trip.
- Optional insurances SCDW, GP, TP, SAAP, Premium & Platinum Insurance.
- Additional driver.
- Additional equipment.
- VIP Pick-up & drop-off at Keflavík International airport. There is a small fee for this service.
When you have booked a VIP pick up at Keflavík International airport we will be waiting for you at the airport with a sign. Look for our representative after you go through customs.
Do I need a credit card to rent a car with Reykjavík Cars?
Yes, you do.
A credit card is needed to cover any costs incurred by you during the rental period. This includes fines for traffic offences, damage to the vehicle, fuel and any other cost that arose as a direct use of the renter's use of the car. At the start of the rental, we will take an imprint of your credit card so we can cover
Cancellation policy, how does it work?
- Where cancellation is made 15 days or more in advance of the beginning of your agreed rental period then you will receive a 100% refund.
- Where cancellation is made 14 days or less in advance of your agreed rental period then you will not receive any refund. The same applies if you do not show up at all to collect your vehicle.
If you wish to cancel or amend your reservation then simply send an email to email@example.com
Is my driver's license valid in Iceland?
All driving licenses issued from the U.S.A, Canada and the European Economic Area (EEA) are valid in Iceland. A driving license from anywhere else is valid provided it has:
A license number
The license holder´s photograph
A valid date
Been printed in Latin characters
If your driving license does not fulfil ANY of the above requirements then you MUST obtain an International Driving License to be able to drive in Iceland.
How old do I need be to rent a vehicle in Iceland?
The registered driver must be at least 20 years of age and have held a full drivers license for at least 12 months.
The minimum age of the registered driver may vary according to the type of vehicle hired. Please check our terms and conditions.
You will also need a valid driver’s license, passport and a valid credit card to rent a vehicle in Iceland.
What documents do I need when I pick up my car?
- ID or passport of the hirer. (*)
- Original driving license (valid for at least 12 months) of the driver. (*)
- The valid credit card of one of the passengers. (*) Applicable to all additional drivers.
Car Rental in Reykjavík - Reykjavík Cars
What insurance options are available?
- Collision Damage Waiver (CDW): CDW IS INCLUDED IN ALL OUR RENTALS.
Self-risk excess is 350.000 ISK for damages in case of an accident. Please check the terms and conditions for this insurance.
- Super Collision Damage Waiver: (SCDW): Excess is reduced to 90.000 / 120.000 ISK in case of an accident. The price for SCDW is 14€/day. Terms and conditions are the same as those for CDW.
- Gravel Protection insurance (GP): Excess of 20.000 ISK in case of damage caused by the impact of gravel on the body of the car, headlights and/or windshield. The price for GP is 9€/day.
- Theft Protection insurance (TP): Excess of 0€ in case of theft of the vehicle. The price for TP is 5€/day.
- Sand And Ash Protection (SAAP): Excess of up to 90.000 ISK in case of damages due to sandstorms or ash. The price is 12€/day.
- PREMIUM Insurance Package: You will have every insurance option at a very reasonable price. SCDW + GP + SAAP from ONLY 32€/per day The self-risk excess is the same in each case above. We highly recommend hiring this option so you will be 100% covered.
- PLATINUM Insurance Package: Reduce your deductible to ZERO for any damage covered under standard insurance with Platinum Insurance. This includes CDW, SCDW, GP, TP and SAAP and is subject to the Rental Agreement Terms and Conditions. It does not include damages that fall outside of the scope of rental insurance. Please read the full Terms and Conditions in the Rental Agreement to learn more.
We always recommend purchasing at least SCDW. By lowering the excess to a maximum of 90.000 ISK (2WD) - 120.000 ISK (4WD) you will feel more relaxed and enjoy your holiday more.
Driving in Iceland usually entails travelling distances on roads that are not surfaced. In our experience, we consider it essential to purchase GP insurance as well. This will cover you from damage that can arise due to the impact of gravel - or stones thrown by another car on the windshield, headlights and the body of the rental car.
For total coverage, you can hire the PLATINUM insurance Package.
Do you offer any roadside assistance?
Yes, we do. We offer a 24 hour a day, 7 days a week emergency roadside assistance. The phone number is (+354) 5390618
We work closely with roadside assistance teams across Iceland. In the unlikely event of a breakdown or an accident, we will send out someone to help you straight away. If we are unable to return the car to a roadworthy condition we will provide you with a replacement vehicle.
If I return the car early am I eligible for a refund?
Unfortunately not. You may be entitled to a refund if you inform us of an earlier return prior to the commencement of the rental period.
Can you guarantee that the vehicle I selected will be available?
No, we cannot. However, where your chosen vehicle is not available we can guarantee that you will be offered a vehicle in the same or higher category.
What do I need to be aware of when driving in Iceland?
- Damage to wheels and tyres by flat or underinflated tyres. Flat tyres are not covered by any insurance.
- Fording rivers.
- Exiting the marked road as a result of icy conditions or visual distractions.
- Domestic animals on or crossing the road.
- Damage to doors when opened in extremely windy conditions.
- Losing traction on gravel roads. This is particularly common where the asphalt road suddenly turns to a gravel road and the driver has not reduced speed to compensate for this.
These are some of the most common causes of accidents in Iceland. By familiarizing yourself with them you will reduce the chance of you being involved in an accident. Above all else, please drive carefully and sensibly. Driving in Iceland is very different to driving in other countries.
The weather can be unpredictable and harsh in Iceland, so we also recommend that you check the forecast whenever possible.
I need a special car and/or car equipment but I cannot find it. What shall I do?
Don’t worry. Send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know your requirements. We will try to provide a solution for you as soon as possible and for the best possible price.